A well-planned hospital saves 8-10% of the project cost and reduces project completion time by 15-20%
Hospitals are one of the most complex building types. Each hospital is comprised of numeral departments, which can be broadly segregated into two parts, Clinical and Non-Clinical departments. The various departments in a hospital building, includes diagnostic and treatment facilities like emergency departments, clinical laboratories, radiology, and surgery; other functions such as food service and housekeeping; and inpatient care/bed-related functions.
While planning or developing a hospital, the first and most important stage is deciding on its type. It could be a single-specialty hospital, a multi-specialty hospital, or a super-specialty hospital. A hospital’s size is typically expressed in terms of its bed capacity: 50, 100, or 200+ beds. The ideal facility should have at least 100 beds and be capable of expanding it further.
Understanding Current Healthcare Infrastructure and Pricing Points.
The cost of building a hospital depends upon many factors, and out of many one is the total area of construction as well as the number of clinical services one is going to provide in its hospital.
The thumb rules to determine the area and the cost required to build the hospital are:
The following general guidelines may help you estimate the hospital’s location and construction cost:
Hospital Build-Up Area: Each bed in a hospital must have a minimum of 500-650 square feet of space and a maximum of up to 1100 square feet. The smaller hospital will need more space.
Cost of Construction: Depending on the client’s needs, the normal average cost to develop a conventional modern hospital facility is between rupees 3000-4500 per square foot + cost of equipments.
Hospital Build-up Size: Any hospital requires a minimum area of 500-650 square feet per bed. The smaller capacity hospital will need more space per bed because common departments like diagnostics, pharmacy, etc. may be used more efficiently than those with more beds.
Cost of Construction: The average typical cost to build a standard modern facility is approx. rupees 3200-4500 per square foot + equipment cost, depending upon the client’s requirements.
Cost for 50 Bedded Hospital
Cost for 100 Bedded Hospital
Cost for 200 Bedded Hospital
*1 Plot area depends on land and width of the land as per local laws.
*2 The cost may vary as per modern elements added to the building & facility
*3 The cost depends on the selection of make and Models
List of Spaces that could be planned in a Healthcare facility depending on the requirements:
- EMERGENCY– Stretchers, wheelchairs, and trolleys area, waiting areas, triage, four clinical management zones (red, yellow, green, black), Duty rooms for health professionals, gender-based violence victims’ room, resuscitation area, isolation room, major/minor OT, dressing room, plaster room, lab and radiology services, and critical care areas (HDU/ICU), police room.
- BURN UNIT – -waiting area, body wash/shower facilities room, rehabilitation room, and dressing room.
- Critical Care (HDU + ICU)- Trolley Park area, Nurses duty room, Doctors duty room, Staff change room, Clean utility, Pantry, Store, Equipment room, Dirty utility, Janitor.
- OPD – Reception, Cash counter, Waiting area, consultation room, pharmacy, toilets.
- IPD– waiting area, nursing station, Treatment room, Dirty utility/Sluice room, Janitor room, pantry room, doctor’s duty room, ward.
- OT- Reception, trolley change area, Pre-operative Room, and Post-Operative room, staff change room, anaesthesia room, doctor’s duty room, nurse duty room, pantry, TSSU.
- MATERNITY- Reception, waiting area, family planning consultation room, LDR, eclampsia room, NBCC, nursery, OT(for c-sect), Mother and New-born Care Unit (MNCU), Sterile storage, Instruments and linen, IVF zone
- DENTAL – reception, consultation room, operation area, store.
- DAY CARE- Physiotherapy – Reception/Record, Electrotherapy room, Thermotherapy room, Massage therapy room, Gymnasium room, Traction room, Store,waiting area. Chemotherapy, Dialysis Unit.
- IMAGING – RADIOGRAPHY AND FLUOROSCOPY ROOM– Control room, Change room, Film Developing and Processing Room (Dark Room) , Film Drying and Storing , Treatment Room ,
- Ultrasound – Change room, Sub-waiting, diagnosis space.
- Computed Tomography-
- PFT/ECG room
- CATH LAB- angiography room,
CLINICAL DIAGNOSTIC – Reception, Sample receipt and preparation Immunopathology room, Histology room, cytology room, Washing and disinfection room, Pathologist Technicians room, Staff toilets.
- Blood Bank – Reception/Waiting, Donor motivation and Counselling area, Blood collection room, Refreshment-cum-restroom, Laboratory for blood transmissible disease room, Blood component preparation room, Sterilization-cum-washing, Store-cum-record room, Blood Storage Units.
- Centralised Sterile Supply Department- sorting area, cotton & gauze preparation area, cleaning area, ultrasonic cleaning, automated washer/disinfector, preparation and packaging area, labelling and packaging area, autoclave, ETO process area, sterile storage area, change room/scrub room and issue of instruments area.
- Hospital Laundry- collection room, decontamination, washing, drying hydro extraction area, ironing, tailoring area, and storage of clean linen.
- Dietary Services- receiving area, store- dry storage area , perishable storage and day care storage area , preparation area, packing/loading area, washing area, gas manifold area, administrative office.
- Medical Gas Pipeline System– manifold room, empty and filled cylinder storage room,liquid oxygen tank room, office room
- Mortuary- waiting area, Body storage room, autopsy room, doctors room, documentation room.
- Hospital Administration- Medical superintendent, Secretarial staff, Sub-waiting
- Nursing Administration– Matron, Secretarial staff, Sub-waiting.
- General Administration- Accounts office, Purchase office, Secretarial staff, personnel office
- Hospital Information– Supervisor room, Computer room
- Security/Fire- Supervisor room, Secretarial staff room
- Mobile Transport– Supervisor room, Secretarial staff room
- House Keeping- Supervisor room, Secretarial staff room
Surgical and dressing, Linen and livery, Stationery and printing, Chemical and glassware, Sanitation and mist, Furniture store.